Hi every one. I joined Smart a couple of weeks ago. Like all of you I wanted to use my wireless "Netopia 3347NWG-EIR" with my new ISP. It took me some time to figure it out but eventually found a way around it.
Yes the "Netopia 3347NWG-EIR" is ASDL2+ complaint but only if it is upgraded to firmware 7.5 or later. The firmware which is already on the unit is 7.4 limits the unit performance to ADSL protocol. Upgrading the firmware will turn the unit into a self installing ADSL2+ modem that will automatically detect your new ISP connection settings and should work with any ISP. All what is needed then is your new ISP username and password. The firmware upgrade changes the modem interface to the classical Netopia interface with access to a lot of the router’s features in the expert mode.
Here is how I did it:
You need to upgrade to version 7.5 first before upgrading to the latest 7.6
1) Download version 7.5.0 of the firmware (file name: nta750.bin) at this link
2) Also download the latest firmware 7.6 revision 8 (nta760r8.bin) here
3) Open your modem’s interface by typing http://192.168.1.254/
in the explorer’s address bar. Go to Expert Mode> Update Router> click "Browse" and choose the “nta750.bin” file. Then click "Update Software from PC" (Please note while you can upgrade using the wireless link from PC to modem, I would prefer to use the Ethernet cable to insure uninterrupted link.)
4) Wait for the update to finish you should get a message of Successful upgrade. You now need to restart the modem for the new firmware to start. The new software will ask you to choose a username and password to restrict access to the modem settings. Then it should ask for your ISP Username and Password (provided by Smart) to access internet.
5) To update from 7.5 to 7.6 go to the modem’s page (http://192.168.1.254/
) then go to “Expert mode” then choose “Install” then “Install Software” then click “Browse” and pick the “nta760r8.bin” file. (Please note the “Update firmware” link in the home page of modem interface won’t work and you need to do it manually as above).
6) Restart modem again and access it using your Admin username and password if you already chose one earlier.
7) The wireless protection will be off as a default. To switch it on go to Expert Mode > Configure > LAN > Wireless Settings
I hope this will be of help to all of you.
The attached image is from my updated Netopia 3347 showing the ADSL2+ modulation of Smart connection.