Go Back   Smart Telecom Broadband Support > Support > Broadband Support

Old 14th August, 01:39 PM

Ok, so to update:

I've done the instructions Lennyman so kindly provided above, but to no avail however.

Atm the modem looks like this:

Wireless light: Steady, solid light
DSL light: Blinking
Internet Light: Off/unlit

On Eircom's Netopia page - 192.168.1.254 I have entered the following:

VPI = 8
VCI = 35

Protocol: PPP Over Ethernet LLC/SNAP

Primary DNS: 84.203.254.34
Secondary DNS: 84.203.255.34

When I save these changes I get: "DSL Connection is down"

Line State = Down

I've also entered my Smart username/password in the relevant fields.

What am I mising? What else needs to be done to get this up and working?

Oh, and I also used the patch the ever kind Dub45 provided, needless to say that hasn't worked either..

To recap:

I have the Eircom Netopia 2247-02

Software Version: 7.7.0r6

Any ideas guys?
Old 14th August, 02:01 PM
rana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morby View Post
Ok, so to update:

I've done the instructions Lennyman so kindly provided above, but to no avail however.

Atm the modem looks like this:

Wireless light: Steady, solid light
DSL light: Blinking
Internet Light: Off/unlit

On Eircom's Netopia page - 192.168.1.254 I have entered the following:

VPI = 8
VCI = 35

Protocol: PPP Over Ethernet LLC/SNAP

Primary DNS: 84.203.254.34
Secondary DNS: 84.203.255.34

When I save these changes I get: "DSL Connection is down"

Line State = Down

I've also entered my Smart username/password in the relevant fields.

What am I mising? What else needs to be done to get this up and working?

Oh, and I also used the patch the ever kind Dub45 provided, needless to say that hasn't worked either..

To recap:

I have the Eircom Netopia 2247-02

Software Version: 7.7.0r6

Any ideas guys?
Hi Morby,

I looked into your line profile and found that you are connected on the internet with Aolynk wired modem. so the above settings into the wireless modem will not help,i think you are connecting wireless modem into Aolynk wired modem.

If you entered the above settings into wireless router, then take off adsl cable out from Aolynk modem and connect into this wireless router, which will give dsl signal to the router and you will be connected to the internet with your wireless router and you can take aolynk modem out of equation completely.

The other way is to change this wireless router settings and use this as bridge / wireless access point. Then you can leave this connected into Aolynk wired modem.

Have a look on the below thread and see if it will help
http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forum...ead.php?t=2484

Thanks
Rana
Old 14th August, 02:33 PM

Hi Rana,

Thanlks so much for the reply!

Ok, bear with me for a minute please cause I'm completely out of my depth here!

1.) I'm on the PC now which is connected via the wired Aolynk router.
This has the telephone line going into a telephone socket.

2.) Laptop is other end of the room, and is connected to the Eircom Netopia 2247 modem. That is also hooked up to the telephone line via a different telephone socket in the same room.

So basically to two modems are both plugged into two separate telephone sockets simultaneously, is this how it should be done, or should I only have one plugged in at a time?

The aforementioned Smart settings I entered into the laptop which is hooked up to the Eircom modem, so I presume they going into the wireless router?

Should I keep both modems going or just the one? The reason I'm using the two is cause I want to keep the PC connected with the Aolynk so I can log on here and get help, as at the minute the Laptop connected to the wireless modem is down and can't connect
Old 14th August, 02:38 PM
rana

Quote:
Hi Rana,

Thanlks so much for the reply!

Ok, bear with me for a minute please cause I'm completely out of my depth here!

1.) I'm on the PC now which is connected via the wired Aolynk router.
This has the telephone line going into a telephone socket.

2.) Laptop is other end of the room, and is connected to the Eircom Netopia 2247 modem. That is also hooked up to the telephone line via a different telephone socket in the same room.

So basically to two modems are both plugged into two separate telephone sockets simultaneously, is this how it should be done, or should I only have one plugged in at a time?

The aforementioned Smart settings I entered into the laptop which is hooked up to the Eircom modem, so I presume they going into the wireless router?

Should I keep both modems going or just the one? The reason I'm using the two is cause I want to keep the PC connected with the Aolynk so I can log on here and get help, as at the minute the Laptop connected to the wireless modem is down and can't connect
Hi Morby,

You cant connect 2 modems the same time into the dsl line. Switch off your aolynk modem and connect your wireless modem into this wall socket. Connect your computer through ethernet cable into this wireless modem, your lap top will still have wireless internet access.

Try it, let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Rana
Old 14th August, 02:52 PM

Success! ish..!

Right, so I've swapped modems, and I now have the Wireless eircom one hooked up to the PC, as you can see, it's now working and I'm connected and all the lights; Wireless, DSL and Internet are now giving a steady, solid light unlike before.

Buuut.. (There's always a but isn't there!) my laptop is picking up the wireless signal but is now looking for "The security key or passphrase" - I can't connect without it.

I have no idea what this is, nothing like this was supplied in the Eircom box, I've tried using my Smart password, but that's not working.

Thanks so much for all your help thus far!
Old 14th August, 03:18 PM
rana

Default -

Quote:
Success! ish..!

Right, so I've swapped modems, and I now have the Wireless eircom one hooked up to the PC, as you can see, it's now working and I'm connected and all the lights; Wireless, DSL and Internet are now giving a steady, solid light unlike before.

Buuut.. (There's always a but isn't there!) my laptop is picking up the wireless signal but is now looking for "The security key or passphrase" - I can't connect without it.

I have no idea what this is, nothing like this was supplied in the Eircom box, I've tried using my Smart password, but that's not working.

Thanks so much for all your help thus far!
Hi Morby,

I can see you are connected through wireless third party router. would you connect your lap top through ethernet cable to this router and go into secruity section where you can find this WEP key, write down this number you will need this number to enter later, Disconnect ethernet cable from lap top and try to connect through wireless. you have security key now to enter.

Below is the link which can help you to find security key.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/S...=9048&branch=4

Thanks
Rana
Old 14th August, 03:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to johnmd
Default rana

if you turn the modem upside down the key there
Old 14th August, 03:33 PM

Sweeet!

Got the security key and I'm now connected!

Will I always have to enter this manually everytime I want to connect wirelessly?

Thanks so much for all the help guys, especially Spear and Rana! And you too John!

Couldn't have gotten this up and running without your help guys, I'm delighted, finally got wireless in the house now, yaaay!

Thanks all!
Old 14th August, 04:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to johnmd
Default Morby you shouldnt have to

enter the details everytme, apart from when you reinstall windows, been few weeks since I wirelessy connected to a lappie, but don remind seeing a tick box when I entered the password
Old 14th August, 06:44 PM

Yeah I think it's gonna be grand John, had to re-boot a few times already due to downloading some new programs, haven't had to re-enter the key since and well I'm online now with it, so all seems to be A-ok!